Monday, February 18, 2008

Our Hearts Are Full Tonight

No battery left to send pictures. I PROMISE some tomorrow after it's charged up. Sorry!!!

We have her and she has us!!! Ai Li is preciously perfect.
We arrived at the Adoption Center with Mr. Li at 2:30 today. Ai Li arrived just after 3:00. 30 minutes has never taken that long - ever.
Everything went very smoothly. She made eye-contact and recognized us immediately from the photo album we'd sent. She was very shy and answered questions with much prodding. When it came time to part with her care taker, they kissed and one slow, silent tear slid down her cheek - then another. She tried so hard to hold it in. I wasn't so brave. Then her caretaker put Ai Li's hand in mine and gave her a gentle shove and said goodbye. One rigid little girl walked out with us. There were about 15 babies all meeting new parents in there too - most were very upset and it was total bedlam. Ai Li must have been so totally overwhelmed.
There is, so far, one immediate way to make her smile, and that is to be near to her sister. Ai Li is very attached to Molly and holds hands with her, copies everything she does and keeps sneaking smiles to her. Smiles that would melt iceburgs. Molly is tickled pink and doing an amazing job in her new role as big sister. Speaking of big sister, Molly's dream has come true - she is finally taller than someone else her age!! Ai Li is so petite.
We came back to the hotel, dropped things off and went to eat. After dinner we went to some stores to spoil her with a few shiny trinket things. Nothing doing! What did the trick was a pair of sneakers. She was in shoes that were obviously way too small for her and made her feet hurt. She just loves her new shoes and we had her run in the store to see how they fit. Lots of smiles.
We went to a park and the kids played and played and we got smiles, heard laughter and felt on top of the world as we saw our little girls sparkle. Cody is being an amazing help - getting near but not overwhelming, patiently waiting his turn for her recognition. It'll come. How could it not - she'll soon follow her sister's footsteps there too.
We came back, had some tea and got the 2 teddy bears ready for bed. She is so tickled at being able to change teddy's clothes.
Tina - I saw Mr. Li hand Teddi's care package to the staff today, so please feel some comfort in knowing that Teddi will have her snuggly bear to cuddle tonight.
I'm going to keep this short because everyone's in bed and 2 new eyes are peeping over the covers as I do this. I wish the camera battery wasn't so drained, because I'm longing to share her with you all.
Going to snug with my girls and see if I can do something with this permanent grin I'm wearing - but then, why should I? I look over my shoulder and see Steve still grinning too.

10 comments:

Lillian E. Swift said...

Sue, what a tremendous report!!!!This is better than any drama I have ever experienced, and IT IS REAL. I can hardly see for the tears, which normally don't come easily. I can't wait for pictures.What an vital role Molly is playing in Ai Li's adjustment period. Give t hat sweetheart a big hug for me and relate how proud I am of her. Cody will soon become a very recognized big brother. Oh , sue , I am sooooo happy for the whole family of FIVE!

Lillian E. Swift said...

Omar just came to read the news and he was blown away, too.

Waitingfaithfully said...

Oh sweet music to my ears! I am overjoyed and I am speechless . . . and I am crying! Ai Li is finally "home". She has a family, and the Huber family now has its missing piece, Layne Ai Li Huber, their sparkling true love! What a blessing that Ai Li has Molly to "hang on to" during this time. Thank you Lord for so many answered prayers, and for smiles . . . and for new shoes!
Congratulations Huber Family we rejoice with you! Welcome home Ai Li Huber, you are a very brave little girl!

Love to China~
Tina and the whole Winder family

P.S. Yeah Molly, you are the "taller" BIG sister! xo T~

Stephanie said...

Celebrating your joy in Michigan! We woke up this morning and flew to the computer to check in....The kids are confused as to why I am crying so hard and smiling at the same time! The connection between sisters is priceless and we know for sure we will bring our Abbie with us to get Audrey Hai Ping !
Congratulations Huber family. May God continue to bless your journey-
The Johnson Family
Waiting for Zhu Hai Ping (10)

Aprille - The Muddled said...

Amazing. We were talking about you guys and picturing where you were and how long you had till you saw Ai Li last night in Lent Stints! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Julie and I are sitting on the couch - one of us is crying a littler harder than the other. We keep rereading you post just imagining the excitement you are feeling. The end of one long journey and the start of another. You guys sure don't do it in a small way.

Love ya and can't wait to see ALL of you.

Mike and Julie

CFW said...

Sue, Steve and Family,

I loved reading your recent post! It just fills me with joy (not to mention some fond memories of my own). I can't wait to meet Ai Li (at least she'll be taller than Jade!).

Best Wishes to you all. Enjoy your time.

Christine Maginnis

Unknown said...

There aren't words for these feelings. Thank you for sharing this overwhelming, wonderful event. I'm smiling through tears. Love to all of you,
Janice Fowler

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you all!!!! It is such a great feeling knowing the girls from Zhu Hai are ready for their forever families!!!! I'm wishing I was there right now with you!
Love from your Zhuhai efriend!
Tracy

Mary Anne said...

We are so excited for you guys. Give everyone a hug from your friends in Atlanta. Can't wait to see you.

Mary Anne