Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Report on Today

Well, our room is amazing - corner suite with 2 windows, one overlooking a school and there's a giant cage on the roof with peacocks, other birds, a sheep and an emu. We hear the kids taking band.

We have a computer in the room. With this privilege of a "business suite" we get one king size bed. Figure that one out for 5.
Cody's on the couch and probably doing the best on this deal. In the one bed are Sue, Ai Li, Molly and Dad - in that order. At least we fit!

So, you remember I said that everyone was settled last night? Yeah - that was when Mom was on duty. In comes Dad who stirs the whole thing up and there's this massive play fest and wound up girls. It was the best thing to happen - Ai Li giggled and laughed and kept pushing Molly to tickle Dad. It was hysterical. One hour later, all is calm again. A good night's sleep.

Ai Li is not using chopsticks. She's jumped right in and only using knife and fork - and very willing to be taught. I know I would not be that brave at 9. We did see her with the chopsticks at lunch today (dim sum restaurant) and she's not that good with them either. Has probably used a spoon for much of the time.

We noticed that her left ear has had some obvious surgery and that it was sort of leaky. It really leaked a lot in the night and she tried to hide her pillow this morning. She's snuffly too. Her skin is dry like cardboard and about as soft. Her fingers are all sort of raw or blistered - but not quite as bad as that sounds. So after our appointment at the adoption agency where we were interviewed and formally finalized the adoption, we decided a trip to the clinic was in order and opted to pay for the American Clinic. We will have to have that ear looked at properly in time, but for now we have antibiotics for the infection and nose drops for the stuffiness. The fingers will heal on their own - too much roughhousing on the playground is what we're told. She was a champion, and responded well to the docs questions. There was a scale in the room. Molly got on it and we discover that she and Ai Li are both 54 pounds, with Molly being 2 inches taller.

This was followed by the restaurant lunch and the zoo. My 2 kids have cameras. Miss Shutterfinger has discovered mine. I have no photos to post today. She walked around pressing that thing repeatedly at everything in site. No aim then shoot. No good photos either. I'll have to wait until she's asleep and do some serious deleting.

Right now, there are 2 little girls in the shower - Molly's teaching that too, God love her. Ai Li's hair needs a wash and some conditioner. I've popped in to help and she's fine with that and found it quite funny that Mom's hand poked in through the shower curtain.

We will visit Zhuhai orphanage on Thursday and I will have the camera, not Ai Li! Jim - I asked Mr. Li to ask for those photos for you yesterday. Today I asked him if he did that and he said that there should be pictures for me to get for you!! I asked if we could go at a time when the children were not in school so that I could take photos of all the you-know-who's we love on this board. I also asked if I could take photos of any babies coming to America. He will ask for the AAI kids to be brought out!!!!!! Let's hope they do so that I can get up-to-date photos for everyone. I will do my best, I promise.

Oh - yesterday, with Ai Li, was one of the other girls - the one who was in the denim jacket on Lynn's lap. She's getting her family today. I have our information and hope to bump into them here so connect the girls.

Lynn - I know you told us how to read our comments, but what I remember isn't working - would you shoot me an email to the group list with that info please?

I hear the water off now, so will close. Blessings to all from the hotel room of double happiness!

After

5 comments:

Angela said...

Hi, Sue.
It sounds like Ai Li is jumping in and learning quite quickly. She has a wonderful teacher...Molly! I'm sure Molly's actions in everything will be copied by her sister. Molly has played and IS playing a tremendous role in Ai Li getting settled comfortably. The initial transition sounds like it went pretty smoothly. Cody is a trooper as well! Is he too long for the couch?? I'm sure he's not complaining a bit. Thanks so much for the wonderful post and keeping us informed as you go. This has been great for me to "travel" with you and your family!

Hugs to all,
~Angela

Anonymous said...

WOW! Amazing how well she is adjusting and so quickly. Thank you so much for the heads up about going to the orphanage. I can't wait till Thursday! Give Hai Shun a hug from me and tell her I am coming soon!!!
:)
Tracy

Unknown said...

Hey! This is such great news, and so welcomed to hear!!! We are praying, and rejoicing, with yall in this! Isn't it amazing...? Love to you, MV

Waitingfaithfully said...

To all in the hotel room of double happiness: Oh what fun! You are getting to know Ai Li through giggles and tickles and laughter, is there any better way? I think not! What a brave girl, what a lovely family! Happy to hear that Ai Li did well at the clinic,and that she was able to get some medicine for her ear, and stuffiness. Loved the description of your accomidations, cozy sleeping arrangements, and surroundings, to include the mini "roof zoo". Praying that things continue to go well, and also praying that you will get to see some "waiting faces" when you visit Zhuhai!
Hugs to China!
Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
LOVE your blogs. Thanks for the window into your wonderful new world of daughter and sibling relationships.

We are so looking forward to seeing you guys when you are ready for visitors. The cats are doing great--I'm tolerated by Lumptious and totally spoiled by the other kitty (who's name escapes me now:) Thankfully neither have tried to actually escape yet but I won't let down my guard!
Love to all,
Krista